Remember the dyed printer manual? With a little tearing, folding, stitching and gluing, here’s what’s become of 4 pages in Portuguese……
- Paper. I can recommend a HP940C printer manual, but guess anything made out of paper would do just as well 😉
- Procion dye. Super vivid colors. I used Magenta and Yellow.
- Brusho. (Or any ink). I chose Brusho for it’s intense colors
- Spray inks – like dylusions or Ranger color wash. Or any ink in a spray bottle
- Water – spray bottle or brushed on to merge colors
- About a week for inter-page drying and adding ink/dye to the uncolored bits. Building up the colors in stages prevents murky colors
- Sunshine and a washing line for quicker drying (optional)
- Suspended expectations. This project steers itself!
Here are some of the results…….
(More on how this came into being here)
Another part of the process with the now familiar printer manual: Scrumpling!
Both before and after the inky stage, scrumpling the paper helps it dry unevenly
Uneven drying makes for gorgeous textural effects.
With sharp folds the fibres of the paper is damaged just enough to make it super absorbant, and make for darker lines and patterns.
The inks run to and through the chanels formed by the creases
..buried in the paper recycling box (I was scuffling about for envelopes and scraps to dye) – when I found this:
No. Haven’t uploaded the wrong photo.
It is the manual to my faithful old printer. (11 years old, some bits have fallen off, but still working, I digress.)
The treasure is in the 7/8 of the pages which are printed in languages foreign to me, almost entirely text-based, on nice absorbant paper.
I love using printed paper especially when the forms of the words aren’t distracted by their meaning.
All it wants is some color…Beginning in drips
Water and ink, drippier and drippier
Then the bit where my inner-kid gets all excitable
A good swish of dylusions yellow to soften the purples, then on to the next page while this dries!
I’ll post more as they dry and develop 🙂